Thursday, December 13, 2007

Grandma Lilian's Lips and the Art of Meditation

I recently spent a few days in Vancouver with a dear mentor and friend of mine, Don Streets, and an amazing and incredibly diverse group of individuals. The event was put on by Lee Brown, a Cherokee gentleman who got his Master's degree in education 25 years ago through Don's program at National University in San Diego, California and has since completed his doctorate in education. Lee is a faculty member in the College of Education at UBC and has been asked by the University to begin a doctoral program for First Nation students which is already underway.

The event was a conference for tribal leaders and educators from all over Canada, including a couple Maori representatives from the University of Aukland, New Zealand. The conference was one of the most amazing processes to witness and participate in that I have ever experienced. No parading of credentials, no blasting of hot air and pontificating, no evidence of ego, none of the trappings that often stymie discussions and consultation, especially in academia, no interrupting of those speaking, etc., but rather the kind of humility and rapt attention, respect, and consideration one only experiences among those of the highest sensibilities.

The most highly respected individual there, and the most revered, with the most profound and eloquent contributions was "Grandma' Lilian", a First Nation grandmother in her 80's, who, for the most part appeared to be asleep, but that was hardly the case. I can only guess that she was in deep meditation, and either, when called upon or by her own initiation and after being recognized to speak, would come out with the most incredible contributions, statements I can only label at this time as the wisdom of the ages that set the direction of the consultation within its proper context, with implications for the direction in which it should be going, sort of like a vector quality that gives both energy, focus, and direction. Invariably she was bang on the underlying dilemma with every single comment and clearly she was accessing something I was not.

As it turned out, Grandma Lilian and I were staying in the same hotel and so I had the opportunity to give her rides back and forth. Though it was only about a 10 minute ride, and only twice a day, by the last day we had developed a very sweet relationship. As I dropped her off the last night, I leaned over to give her a big hug, but to my surprise she grabbed the back of my hair and planted the biggest kiss right smack on my lips. She then looked me dead in my sure to have been very wide eyes and said, "Sometimes you need to slow your mind down," and she walked off!

So in trying to figure out what it was about that woman that allowed her to know what it was that I needed I searched through the Baha'i Writings for quotes on meditation and the nature of meditation and found a couple of interesting ones.

In a talk given in Paris, Abdu'l-Baha says:

Bahá’u’lláh says there is a sign (from God) in every phenomenon: the sign of the intellect is contemplation and the sign of contemplation is silence, because it is impossible for a man to do two things at one time—he cannot both speak and meditate. It is an axiomatic fact that while you meditate you are speaking with your own spirit. In that state of mind you put certain questions to your spirit and the spirit answers: the light breaks forth and the reality is revealed.

Meditation is the key for opening the doors of mysteries. In that state man abstracts himself: in that state man withdraws himself from all outside objects; in that subjective mood he is immersed in the ocean of spiritual life and can unfold the secrets of things-in-themselves. To illustrate this, think of man as endowed with two kinds of sight; when the power of insight is being used the outward power of vision does not see.

This faculty of meditation frees man from the animal nature, discerns the reality of things, puts man in touch with God.

This faculty brings forth from the invisible plane the sciences and arts. Through the meditative faculty inventions are made possible, colossal undertakings are carried out; through it governments can run smoothly. Through this faculty man enters into the very Kingdom of God.
Its given me something to think about while I continue to ponder Grandma Lilian's lips and the art of meditation.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was also at this conference. I met Todd and Don there. When I walked into the room I was quick to see the and knew I had to meet them. The funny thing is I did not get to speak directly to them until after the close of the conference. since the the three of us have become amazing friends and Brothers. I would share a foxhole with these two any day. Todd is surely a true Jedi apprentice as am I and Don and Lee are Masters. What a wonderful adventure we all are on.

I also had an intimate encounter with Grandma Lilian... perhaps mine was a bit more Traditonal and involved the exchange of tobbaco (Lillian and I are both of First nations decent)Lilian gave me guidance on letting go of my departed Mother, which since has been of great value to me. I am so grateful to our elders to love us and guide us to better existance.

Todd I am a little jealous that you were kissed and I was not. Slow your mind as she said... "Clear your mind, Luke" lol

Blessings on you my dear Brother,
daren

Anonymous said...

please continue with your blog.....you have a following..at least in me....